Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sandy Hook

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Fear, uncertainty, doubt - these are all feelings encountered on a daily basis. Sometimes it's to the point in which these feelings dominate one's psyche.
Yesterday, the waves around Sandy Hook were quite choppy. I would walk out to where the smooth sand turned into rocky pebbles, and wait for a minute or two, hoping that the waves died down. Swells of four or five feet would come by, and I would try to jump over them to swim.
However, the majority would sweep me off of my feet and throw me back onto the shore. I would inhale sea water, coughing...Once I landed on my back, getting scraped by a broken sea shell (hopefully no sepsis).
In a way, this natural action of the ocean showed me my freedom, through showing my inability to be in control of all situations. Sometimes, to know that you aren't in control of a situation - it is simply the most freeing of all experiences. I do not know what the future holds, but that is alright. I will take it as it comes, and cherish the present.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found a business card when I packed your stuffs. Every man does live holding a mental wound. Some scratch makes a serious scar and some scratch leaves a slight mark in memory. As surf washes away all prints, time treats everything. However, with this scratch, don't make another scratch. Hoping to see you soon.